Dr. Aparna Govil Bhasker is a Bariatric and Advanced Laparoscopic GI Surgeon. She is one of the first surgeons in India to be accredited by the Surgical Review Corporation (SRC) as a Center for Excellence (COE) surgeon in 2011. She completed her post- graduation in General Surgery from Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Sewagram, India in 2006 after which she went on to do a fellowship in “Advanced Laparoscopy and Bariatric Surgery” at Center for Obesity and Digestive Surgery (CODS) in Mumbai She worked as a consultant bariatric surgeon at CODS for 10 years and has one of the highest experience in bariatric and advanced laparoscopic surgery in the country today. She also has a keen interest in clinical research and in 2015, she completed a 9 months diploma on “principles and practice of clinical research” from the Harvard Medical School.
She has a keen interest in single incision surgery and has one of the largest series of single incision bariatric surgeries in India. She performs both Bariatric as well as General Laparoscopic Surgeries with great ease and finesse.
Dr. Aparna Govil Bhasker is the Chairperson for the Position Statement Committee of the Asia Pacific Chapter of International Federation for Obesity and Metabolic Surgery (IFSO-APC). She is an invited speaker at many national and international conferences. She has performed live surgeries at conferences and training programs at national level.
She has a keen interest in research and academics and has published many papers in peer reviewed journals. She is the co-author of a „Silver Book on Sleeve Gastrectomy” which was published in 2016. She has also authored chapters in many text books of surgery. She is an avid reader, blogger and an artist. She also a co-founder of a charitable foundation called Debabrata Auro Foundation in Mumbai.
Membership & Certificates
- International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders(IFSO)
- Asian Endosurgery Task Force (AETF)
- Asia Pacific Metabolic & Bariatric Surgeons Group (APBSG)
- Obesity Surgeons Society of India ( OSSI )
- International bariatric club (IBC)
- Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia (ELSA)
- Indian Medical Association (IMA)
- Association of Medical Consultants (AMC)
Education & Training
MBBS, MS, Fellowship in advanced laparoscopy and bariatric surgery, Diploma in Clinical Research (Harvard Medical School)
- Recipient of IFSO scholarship in Buenos Aires, Argentina, September 24-27, 2008
- First Asian Female Surgeon to be awarded the designation of an International Center for Excellence for Bariatric Surgery.
- One of the highest series of single incision sleeve gastrectomy in the country.