Currently associated as Head & Chief Surgeon with Department of HPB & Liver Transplant Surgery at Global Hospitals, Chennai
Renowned surgeon known for his expertise on liver transplantation and hepatopancreatobiliary (HPB) surgery and performed more than 3000 liver transplant surgeries so far
In Dec 1997, a team led by him has done a successful liver transplantation for a five-day-old girl, which made him an entry into the Guinness Book of Records in 2000
Carried out the first living related Liver Transplant on a patient with acute Liver Failure in the UK
Successfully done a liver transplant for a four-and-a-half-year-old girl suffering from a terminal stage liver disease.
Participated as part of a team from King’s College Hospital, London which did liver transplant(s) six times for a patient to save her life by performing a bone marrow transplant
A team led by him has successfully done Swap liver transplantation on Adults (first of its kind in India), at Global Hospitals & Health city, Chennai
Research interest is in the field of liver regeneration and harnessing its potential in making liver surgery safer for liver donors, liver recipients and for patients with advanced liver tumors
- Prof. Mohamed Rela is one of the most accomplished surgeons in the world in this field with over 400 scientific articles and papers on liver transplantation, complex hepatobiliary pancreatic surgery and more.
- Prof. Mohamed Rela has performed over 4000 liver transplant surgeries.
- In December 1997, a team led by him performed a successful liver transplantation on a five-day-old girl, which made him an entry into the Guinness Book of World Records in 2000. The girl is now 20 years old studying law.
- He has pioneered the technique of split liver transplantation where one cadaver liver is split into two and transplanted into two individuals.
- He is also one of the most Innovative Paediatric Surgeons alive as per an article published by “Top Master’s in Healthcare Administration”.
- Panchanna Chaterjee Oration and Gold Medal: Association of Surgeons of India. December, 1996
- Senior Lecturer: King’s College, University of London, 2001
- Recognised Teacher status and PhD Supervisor: University of London, 2001
- Professor of Liver Surgery and Transplantation: King’s College, University of London, 2005
- Scroll of Honour and Medal: Jawaharlal Institute of Post graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry, 2009
- Dr Madhanagopal Oration and Medal: Madras Medical College, 2010
- Scroll of Honour: The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University, 2012
- BMA: British Medical Association
- RSM: Royal Society of Medicine
- BTS: British Transplantation Society
- ILTS: International liver transplant society
- AUGIS: Association of Upper GI surgeons of Great Britain
- ESOT: European Society of Organ Transplantation
- BASL: British Association of Study of the Liver
- IHPBA: International Hepato-Pancreato Biliary Association
- APASL: The Asian Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver
- AST: American Society of Transplantation