Dr. Somesh Desai is practicing Neurosurgeon in Ahmedabad. With over 18 years of experience the doctor has carved a distinct identity with his illustrious work. Dr. Somesh Desal is associated with the Neurosurgery department of Apollo Hospitals in Ahmedabad. The Doctor has acquired his MBBS, MS degree from Baroda Medical college while his M.CH from Shree Chitra Institute Of Medical Science and Technology from Trivandrum, Kerala. One of the major milestones in his journey was the Fallowship at The Royal Melbourne Hospital in Australia. He has also rendered his services as Assis tant professor at Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences Hyderabad Since 2007,Dr. Somesh is onboard with Apollo as Neurosurgeon.
Areas of interest
- Dr. Desai specializes in performing all sorts of Neurosurgeries like: Cerebrovascular surgery, Vascular surgeries of brain and Epilepsy surgeries. The Epilepsy surgeries which is still an untouched demain by many, is successfully performed at the Apollo Hospital by the exclusive team at the panel.
- The Hospital is equipped with the state-of-the-art technologies for Neurosurgery which includes the Intra-operative monitoring for Epilepsy surgery.
- Dr. Somesh was the first Doctor to have performed artificial disc surgery in Hyderabad.
- He is also acknowledged as the pioneer of Epilepsy surgery in Gujarat. The Doctor envisioned to establish a comprehensive Epilepsy programme in Gujarat with a panel of Neurosurgeons, Neurologists, Physicians and Psychiatrists, so that the patients can take resort to complete treatment under one roof, which is now accomplished. He also aspires to create awareness about Epilepsy and it’s surgery amongst people at large.
- One of the major milestones in his journey was the Fellowship at The Royal Melbourne Hospital in Australia where he got an opportunity to work under Professor Andrew Kaye who is considered as the best brain tumour surgeon in World.
Certifications & Professional Memberships
- Associate member of Neurological society of India Special Interests
- Cerebrovascular, Epilepsy, Brain Tumours
Awards and Achievements
- Performed the first artificial cervical disc placement in the state of Andhra Pradesh
Research and Publications
- Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s disease. CME on deep brain stimulation, Institute of Neurology. Madras medical college and government general hospital Chennai, February 2005.
- Pediatric Hydrocephalus.Current concepts in pediatric, 2006.