Dr. Mazda K. Turel completed his degree in medicine (MBBS) from Grant Medical College and Sir JJ groups of Hospitals in Mumbai, and went on to pursue a MCh degree in Neurosurgery from the prestigious Christian Medical College in Vellore, India.
He is currently practicing as a Neurosurgeon at the prestigious Wockhardt Hospitals, South Mumbai. Dr. Turel is a general practice neurosurgeon who specializes in the treatment of diseases of the brain and spine and advocates an approach to neurosurgery that is both balanced and aggressive. His practice style is collaborative, and he strongly believes that incorporation of patients, their families, and the medical staff as members of his team offers patients the best possible outcome and satisfaction.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Medical Council of India
- Tamil Nadu Medical Council
- Life member of the Neurological Society of India
- Life member of the Indian Society of Neuro-oncology
- Walter E. Dandy Neurosurgical Society
- Life member of the Bombay Neurosciences Association
- American Association of South Asian Neurosurgeons (AASAN) scholarships to visit various departments of Neurosurgery in America that specialize in skull base and cerebrovascular surgery. (Oct –Dec 2014)
- SNO (Society of Neuro-oncology) travelling fellowship Nov 2014 to attend the annual meeting in Miami.
Research & Publications
Dr Turel has over 50 publications in peer reviewed journals and books. To name a few are:
- Turel MK, Sarkar S, Prabhu K, Daniel RT, Jacob KS, Chacko AG. Reduction in range of cervical motion with serial long-term follow up in patients undergoing oblique corpectomy for cervical myelopathy. European Spine Journal 2013;22:1509-16.
- Turel MK, Kiehl TR, Gentili F. Extracranial temporal cavernous hemangioma: Differential diagnosis, and a review of literature. Neurol India. 2016 Nov-Dec;64(6):1347-1351.
- Turel MK, Kucharczyk W, Gentili F. Spontaneous resolution of colloid cyst of the third ventricle: Implications for management. Asian J Neurosurg. 2017 Apr-Jun;12(2):203-206
- Turel MK, Kerolus M, Deutsch H. The role of minimally invasive spine surgery in the management of pyogenic spinal discitis. J Craniovertebr Junction Spine. 2017 Jan-Mar;8(1):39-43
- Kerolus MG, Turel MK, Fessler RG Posterior Cervical MIS Techniques. In Tender G (Ed). Spine Surgery: 1st Edition, Springer 2017.
Awards & Honors
- In 2012: Awarded the Jacob Chandy Gold Medal for best student in MCh Neurosurgery. The 5th recipient of this prestigious award in 30 years.
- In 2013: Awarded the Dr. S. Kalyanaraman Endowment Gold Medal by the Institute of Neurology, Madras Medical college for outstanding performance in Neurosurgery.