When it comes to cancer treatment and Surgery, Dr. Soumen Das is a reliable name not just in Kolkata but also throughout the country. As a surgical oncologist with years of experience in successfully performing thousands of complicated cancer surgeries, he is the pioneer of HIPEC and PIPAC procedures in eastern India.
He has an outstanding academic record. In the year 2006, he received his MBBS from the prestigious Medical College in Kolkata, where he was the University topper in Surgery. He earned his master’s degree in surgery (MS-Surgery) from the same institution where he received the prestigious BEST RESIDENT SURGEON AWARD. During this time, he was also honoured by the Association of Surgeons India with the UMA RANI SAHA GOLD MEDAL award.
Following his MS, he went to Mumbai’s TATA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL to complete a super speciality fellowship (FUICC) in Surgical Oncology. The American College of Surgeons awarded him the prestigious FACS. The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow and the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh awarded him the degrees of FRCS and MRCS respectively.
He gained vast experience in different types of surgeries when he served as an Assistant Professor at IPGME&R SSKM Hospital, Kolkata from 2012 to 2017 and an Associate Professor at RGMC, West Bengal from 2017 to 2018. He was also a Visiting Fellow of the City of Hope Hospital in Los Angeles, California where he learned the art of HIPEC Surgery. At present, Dr. Das is attached to the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Cancer Hospital, Kolkata as a Consultant Surgical Oncologist.
He holds membership of some of the most prestigious associations in India, including the American College of Surgeons, Association of Surgeons of India, Indian Association of Surgical Oncology, and Association of Breast Surgeons of India. He has over fifty scientific publications in reputed journals. He is regarded as a researcher, teacher in the field of breast surgery, surgical oncology.
Honours & Awards:
- Received Gold Medals for Community Medicine and General Surgery during his MBBS in 2004 and 2005 respectively.
- Received UMA RANI SAHA GOLD MEDAL for General Surgery from ASI in 2011.
- Received many awards like- SIR FRANK KONAR PRIZE, DR. RASOMOY GANGULY MEMORIAL AWARD, BISHNU PADA THAKUR MEMORIAL AWARD, and Smt. ANUKA BANERJEE MEMORIAL AWARD for his outstanding academic career.
- He is also the recipient of BEST SPEAKER AWARD at “Oncologics” A day on Breast Cancer, as well as K.K. GHOSH MEMORIAL AWARD, UMA RANI SAHA GOLD MEDAL, NADIA AWARD, and GODREJ KARAI TRAVELLING FELLOWSHIP.
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Association of Surgeons of India
- American College of Surgeons
- Indian Association of Surgical Oncology
- Indian Society of Peritoneal Surface Malignancy
- Association of Colorectal Surgeons of India
- Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India
- Breast Surgery Internationale
- European Society of Surgical Oncology
- Research in role of Prostate Specific Antigen in Breast Cancer
- Research in expression of ER/PR in gall bladder cancer
- Research in expression of PSA, ER,PR in colorectal cancer
- Research in use of DVT prophylaxis in patients undergoing abdominal cancer surgery
- Clinicopathological and Mutation analysis of Pancreatic and gall bladder cancer in association with INDIAN STASTISTICAL INSTITUTE, Kolkata (Co- investigator: Dr Nilabho Shikdar, Asst. Professor, Human Genomics, ISI, Kolkata)
- Cancer Vaccines
- Clinicopathological spectrum of Colorectal cancer in west Bengal
- Bevacizumab in Metastatic Colorectal cancer
- Clinicomicrobiological assessment of port site infection following laparoscopic surgery
- De, Das, Kumar. Hepato-pancreatic ascariasis. TROPICAL DOCTOR 2010; 40: 227–229
- Das, De, Sarkar. Type VI choledochal Cyst: Revisited. Singapore Journal of Medicine Singapore Med J 2011; 52(5)
- Das Soumen, De U, Maiti PK. A rare case of inguinal lymph node metastasis from supraglottic laryngeal carcinoma. J IMA. 2011 Jul;43(2):74-6.
- Das Soumen, Sarkar S, Ghosh M, De U.Eviscerated ‘amyand’ incisional hernia. J IMA. 2011 Jul;43(2):80-2.
- Das Soumen, Gautam D. Pattern of Surgical Site Infection in a tertiary care hospital in Eastern India. IMJ July 2011; vol-105 no-7
- Das S, Paul R, De U, Mukhopadhyay M.The lady with raised prostate specific antigen: do we need to worry? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2011;12(8):2051-3.
- S Ganguly*, R S Biswas, M L Saha, S Bhattacharya,Soumen Das, An unusual case of inguinal hernia: Persistent mullerian duct syndrome syndrome with transverse testicular ectopia, Medical Case Studies Vol. 2(7), pp. 54-57, December 2011
- Soumen Das, R Paul, ROLE OF CELECOXIB IN BENIGN BREAST DISEASE, JPSI, May-June 1(3) 2012, 37-38
- Das Soumen, De U, Das D K, Sarkar S. Rare case of inguinal dermoid masquerading as inguinal hernia. International Journal of Case Reports and Imaging, 2012, 47-49
- Das Soumen , Sen S, Mukherjee A, Chakraborty D, Mondal PK. Risk factors of breast cancer among women in eastern India: a tertiary hospital based case control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2012;13(10):4979-81
- Soumen Das, R Paul, U de, D K Sarkar. Serum PSA (prostate specific antigen): Could it be of any help in women with breast cancer? (ABSTRACT) European Journal of Surgical Oncology Volume 38, Issue 11 , Pages 1108-1109, November 2012
- D Jana, Soumen Das,D K Sarkar,, S Mandal,A Maji, M Mukhopadhyay Role of Nuclear Factor-κB in female Breast Cancer: A Study in Indian Patients. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, Vol 13, 2012 , 5511-14
- Maji, Suvendu, Saha M L, Adil T, Das Soumen . “A rare case of strangulated obturator hernia presenting as subacute intestinal obstruction.” Nigerian Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 17, no. 1, 2016, p. 23.
- Soumen Das, MC Das, R Paul. Swarna Bhasma in cancer: A prospective clinical study. Ayu. 2012 Apr;33(3):365-7
- Soumen Das, Retina Paul, Utpal De, Mrityunjay Mukherjee. Management of breast cancer by vaccine: fact or fiction. Journal of Islamic Medical Association of North America. 01/2012; 44(1)
- Santanu Sen, Rajarshi Gayen, Soumen Das, Sanjay Maitra, Amitesh Jha, Manisha Mahata.A clinical and pathological study of triple negative breast carcinoma: experience of a tertiary care centre in eastern India. Journal of the Indian Medical Association 10/2012; 110(10):686-9, 705
- S Saha, V singh, S Ganguly, Soumen Das, S S Mondal, D K Sarkar. Serial estimation of CA 15.3 can predict the outcome in patients with breast cancer- a prospective study. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences. 2014 Jan; 5(1): (B) 570 – 576
- Makhan Lal Saha, Soumen Das, Partha Bhar, Suvendu Maji, Kamal Singh Kanwar, rakash Bhagat . An unusual cause of vomiting: chronic gastric volvulus due to old diaphragmatic defect. Int Surg J. 2014; 1(3): 158-160
- S Maji, M L Saha, K S Kanwar, Soumen Das. Damage control and definitive surgery in a case of fatal blunt trauma abdomen. Med. Res. Chron., 2015, 2 (2), 217-221
- Soumen Das, S De. A randomized control study of effect of octriotide in management of acute pancreatitis with varying severities. International Journal of Medicine and Health Research. 2015, 1-5
- maji, M L Saha, K S Kanwar, Soumen Das, P Bhagat, P Bhar. A unique case of pheochromocytoma presenting with hypertensive retinopathy. Int J Med Res Health Sci. 2015;4(2): 432-434
- Soumen Das, S Saha. Comparison of incidence and presentation of biliary stricture after open and laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Southeast Asian Journal of Case Reports and Review. (In press)
- An epidemiological study of 50 consecutive cases of gastric cancer from a tertiary care hospital in Westbengal. International Surgery journal (In press)
- Thyroid Abscess with Thyro-Cutaneous Fistula following Needle Aspiration: A Rare presentation of Papillary Thyroid Cancer. Southeast Asian Journal of Case Reports and Review. (In press)
- Retina Paul, Soumen Das, P Bhagat, M.L.Saha. Microbological pofile of infection following surgery: a hospital based study. American Journal of Biological and Pharmaceutical Research. 2015;2(2):86-88
- R Ghosh, Soumen Das, Harish Kela, Asmita De, Jayeeta Haldar, Prasanta Kumar Maiti Biofilm colonization of Mycobacterium abscessus: New threat in hospital-acquired surgical site infection, Indian J Tuberc. (2016), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijtb.2016.11.013
- Ghosh R, Das S, De A, Kela H, Saha ML, Maiti PK. Port-site infections by nontuberculous mycobacterium: A retrospective clinico-microbiological study. Int J Mycobacteriol [serial online] 2017 [cited 2018 Mar 8];6:34-7. Available from: http://www.ijmyco.org/text.asp?2017/6/1/34/201901
- Sinha S, Basu A, Das Soumen, Mondal,RR, Saha S. A Novel Technique for Protection of Facial Nerve during Parotidectomy. Ann. Int. Med. Den. Res. 2019;5(4):SG12-SG15.
- Sinha S, Halder A, Basu A, Das Soumen,Mondal RR. Role of Closed Suction Drain in the Prevention of SSI in Elective Surgery. Ann. Int. Med. Den. Res. 2019; 5(4):SG21-SG23.
- Kabra S, Sinha S, Das Soumen, Mondal RR. Effect of Adherence to the World Health Organization Surgical Safety Checklist on Morbidity and Mortality in a Defined Surgical Patient Population. Ann. Int. Med. Den. Res. 2019; 5(4):SG24-SG29.
- Dutta R, Saha S, Saha ML, Basu A, Das S, Saha D. Abdominosacral resection versus abdominoperineal resection in patients with low rectal carcinoma in terms of exposure/operating time/bleeding. World J Colorectal Surg 2019;8:89-97
- Rishin Dutta, Soumen Das, Makhan Lal Saha, Indigenous way of hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy , Journal of Peritoneum (and other serosal surfaces): Vol. 4 No. 1 (2019)
- Gulati, Anil; Jain, Dinesh; Agrawal, Nilesh; Rahate, Prashant; Das, Soumen; Chowdhuri, Rajat; Prabhu, Madhav; Haveri, Sameer; Dhibar, Deba; Lavhale, Manish 1732: A PHASE II MULTICENTRIC RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED STUDY OF CENTHAQUINE IN HEMORRHAGIC SHOCK PATIENTS, Critical Care Medicine: January 2020 – Volume 48 – Issue 1 – p 840 doi: 10.1097/01.ccm.0000649224.29144.8f
- Adil MT, Rahman R, Das S. Patterned charring along the contact points of a metallic locket due to lightning strike. Clin Case Rep. 2016 May 11;4(6):618-9. doi: 10.1002/ccr3.538. PMID: 27398211; PMCID: PMC4891493.