Liver cirrhosis is an end-stage liver disease that occurs when there is irreparable scarring of the liver and a permanent loss of liver cells. In India, 10 lakh patients are diagnosed with liver cirrhosis every year. The primary cause of liver cirrhosis is non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and alcohol abuse. The treatment method depends on the severity and the cause of cirrhosis. Liver transplantation is the utmost treatment if your liver is not responding to conventional treatment methods. Many hospitals offer the best liver transplant in India under the supervision of the best liver doctors in India.
You can prevent cirrhosis by doing some changes in your diet and following a healthy lifestyle. Before that let’s take a look at some of the causes, symptoms, and treatment methods for cirrhosis.
Liver cirrhosis is the last stage of liver disease where healthy liver tissues are replaced with scar tissues and the liver is damaged utterly. The scar tissue prevents the blood flow through the liver and slows down the normal functions of the liver. It also lessens the production of proteins and other substances made by the liver.
What are the Causes of Cirrhosis?
The most common causes of cirrhosis are,
- Excessive use of alcohol for a prolonged period.
- Chronic viral infections of the liver including hepatitis B and C.
- Fatty liver problems related to obesity and diabetes. This is called non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.
Other causes include,
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (This builds up an abnormal protein in the liver)
- Hemochromatosis here, excessive iron is stored in the liver)
- Wilson disease (excessive copper is stored in the liver).
- Glycogen storage diseases (In this condition, the liver can’t break down or store glycogen).
2Autoimmune hepatitis (your immune system attacks healthy liver tissue causing damage).
3Diseases that damage or block bile ducts in the liver
4Primary sclerosing cholangitis (inflammation of the bile ducts may cause scarring and narrowing of the ducts and stockpile bile in the liver)
5Chronic heart failure (this causes fluid to store up your liver)
6Rare diseases, like amyloidosis deposit an abnormal protein called amyloid in the liver. This protein disrupts normal liver function.
Treatment for Liver Cirrhosis
People who have cirrhosis caused by excessive drinking should stop drinking immediately.
People with cirrhosis caused by non-alcoholic fatty liver disease may need to lose weight and control their sugar.
Certain medications are provided to control further damage to liver cells caused by hepatitis B and C.
Liver Transplant Surgery: when your cirrhosis is in the advanced stage where your liver can’t return to its normal function, a liver transplant is the only option. During a liver transplant surgery, your liver ( a portion or entire) is replaced with a healthy liver from a deceased or living donor. Those who have alcoholic liver cirrhosis may not be ideal candidates for a liver transplant because of the risk that they will return to harmful drinking after transplant. But a recent study has claimed that carefully selected people with alcoholic liver cirrhosis have post-transplant survival rates similar to those who have liver cirrhosis due to other causes.
How do you Prevent Cirrhosis of the Liver?
Food and Drink Issues
- Don’t consume alcohol excessively. If you drink alcohol, consume it moderately. You can drink not more than two drinks a day if you are a man and not more than one if you are a woman. But if you have other liver diseases, you should stay away from alcohol.
- Eat a healthy and low-fat diet like the Mediterranean diet. Your diet should include a lot of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and whole grains.
- Never eat raw seafood, especially oysters and clams. These food items contain bacteria that can cause serious illness.
- Reduce your salt intake.
Healthy Body Habits
Maintain a healthy weight. Because excess fat may damage your liver. Go for a weight-reduction plan if you are obese.
- Exercise regularly for at least 30 minutes
- Go for health check-ups on a regular interval basis. Closely monitor your diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol, and triglycerides.
- Try to quit smoking.
Healthy Liver Practices
- Avoid high-risk behaviours that can lead to infection with hepatitis B or C. Don’t use illegal drugs and don’t have unprotected sex.
- Get vaccinated against hepatitis B.
- Get your annual flu shot and ask if a pneumonia vaccine can work for you.
- Avoid nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, indomethacin, celecoxib, and aspirin. Acetaminophen can be taken safely at a dose of up to 2,000 mg daily. These drugs can cause or worsen liver function.
- Consult with your physician before consuming any of the above-mentioned drugs.
If you are suffering from liver cirrhosis and want to consult with the best liver doctors in India, get in touch with Livonta Global as soon as possible. Livonta global is tied up with many reputed liver doctors and hospitals that offer the best liver transplant in India.
Check the official website of Livonta Global and acquire more information.
Liver Transplant Treatment