Colon Cancer: Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention and Causes
Colon cancer is one of the most prevalent types of cancers which mainly affect older adults. Due to lifestyle and diet changes, now this cancer can happen anyone at any age. Colon cancer begins in the large intestine (colon).
This cancer begins as small, noncancerous (benign) clumps of cells that are called polyps. These polyps usually form inside of the colon. Over the time period, they can become colon cancers. Now, many cancer treatments are available which will help you to combat colon cancer. Livonta Global has an unparalleled reputation in the field of medical tourism and it is partnered with many hospitals which are providing the best cancer treatment in India.
Colon cancer is often known as colorectal cancer. This is a term which combines both colon cancer and rectal cancer (develops in the rectum).
Is there any pain in colon cancer?
The colon is an imperative part of the digestive system which helps in food absorption and extirpates waste products from the body. When a tumour develops in the colon, initially, you may not experience any signs. But if there is severe abdominal pain, then you should consult an expert medical professional who has immense experience in this field. Your doctor will ask for a screening test. Many experienced and dexterous gastroenterologists who have a plethora of experience in gastrointestinal disorders ranging from mild to severe.
Colon cancer symptoms
Does colon cancer show any early symptom?
Initially, colon cancer may show very little or no symptoms. But if you have experienced bleeding from your rectum or blood in the stool, then without wasting any time you should seek medical help. Your specialist doctor will perform a faecal occult blood test in which a stool sample needs to be collected and submitted to detect the presence of blood in the stool.
You may have faced some other symptoms. If these symptoms continue for a long time, then you should fix an appointment with the doctor who will provide you with the best cancer treatment in India.
- Rectal bleeding (bleeding from the anus, rectum, colon or all parts of the digestive tract). If you have noticed right red blood in your stool, then it demands an evaluation.
- If you are anaemic, then you may not see any rectal bleeding
- Fatigue or pale-coloured skin due to anaemia
- Changes in bowel movement
A faecal occult blood test is conducted to find out the reason behind the rectal blood.
If the size of your tumour is large, then it may block your colon partially or entirely. This eventually leads to severe changes in bowel functionality. You may face some problems like,
- Abdominal distension: You may face bloating and swelling in the belly area. The belly usually looks out more than its actual size.
- Abdominal cramps: Colon cancer causes a change in bowel movement. This change in bowel movements leading to bloating, cramping or abdominal pain.
- Sudden and unexplained weight loss
- Ribbon-like stools
- Nausea or vomiting
- Feeling as if bowels are not emptied (even after a bowel movement)
When to see a doctor?
If your symptoms persist, then you must visit a specialist. Generally, a doctor will refer to colon cancer screening once you have crossed 50 years. If you have a family history or other risk factors, then your doctor will recommend for early screening.
How can you prevent colon cancer? Let’s take a look.
- Early screening: several screening options are there. By doing the early screening, you can prevent colon cancer.
- Eat healthy food: Include fruits, vegetables, vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, etc. into your diet. Choose a variety of fruits and vegetables so that you will get plenty of vitamins and nutrients.
- Restrict your alcohol consumption:Drink alcohol in a moderate way (once or twice a day)
- Stop smoking: quit smoking as early as possible. If necessary, take help from your doctor.
- Exercises: Keep fit yourself by doing exercises. Try to exercise for at least 30 minutes regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight:
Try to maintain healthy body weight. If you need to lose weight, talk to your doctor. He will guide you on how can you lose weight in a wholesome way.
Prevention for people with a high risk
Some medications will help you in minimizing the risk of precancerous polyps or colon cancer. A plethora of medical studies have claimed that by taking aspirin or aspirin-like drugs, you can minimize the risk of colon cancer. Taking aspirin daily has some risks, including gastrointestinal bleeding and ulcers. There is not enough evidence which can prove that these medications are useful for people who have an average risk of colon cancer. So, talk to your physician, before consuming any medication.
Still, doctors are not certain what causes colon cancer. Colon cancer develops when healthy cells in the colon change (mutations) in their DNA. Healthy cells grow and divide and help your body to keep functioning normally. But when a cell’s DNA is damaged and becomes cancerous, cells continue to divide. As the cells accumulate, they form a tumour. Gradually with time, the cancer cells can grow to conquer and destroy normal tissue nearby and cancerous cells can travel to other parts of the body.
How long do you survive after being diagnosed with colon cancer?
Your survival rate depends on the size, location and growth of the tumour.
- If the tumour is diagnosed at a localized (initial)stage, then the survival rate is 80-95% up to 5 years.
- If cancer has already spread to the nearby lymph nodes, then the survival rate is 67% for 5 years.
- If the colon cancer has spread to distant parts (other parts of the body), then the survival rate drops to 14%.
- If the tumour has reached to your liver, then the doctor will suggest for liver transplant surgery.
Since technology is emerging day by day, there are many clinical treatments which will help you to combat your colon cancer.
Now you have plenty of knowledge regarding colon cancer, early signs & symptoms, treatment, and prevention.
Livonta Global helps the patients to find out the best treatment for their colon cancer as the company is tied up with many leading hospitals in India. You can visit the website of Livonta Global and post your query for your treatment. You will certainly get a response from the company which will address all your medical issue.Cancer Treatment
Tags: cancer treatment in India, Colon Cancer: Symptoms, Treatment