A bone marrow transplant is a treatment that involves the transplantation of healthy blood stem cells into the bone marrow to replace cells that have been injured or killed in the bone marrow. When healthy blood stem cells are transplanted, they travel to the bone marrow and begin to aid in the growth of a new bone marrow, allowing cell production to resume. After a successful Bone Marrow Transplant in India, the white blood cells are formed that help your body fight infections and issues like anaemia.
Over the last several years, remarkable advancements in medical research have resulted in an increase in the success rate and survival rate of bone marrow transplants.
Need for Bone Marrow Transplant
- Multiple Myeloma – The cancer in white blood cells.
- Amyloidosis – an abnormal protein produced in the bone marrow and its deposition interferes with its normal functions
- Acute or chronic Leukemia – bone marrow or blood cancer
- Hodgkin’s or Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma – Cancer of lymphocytes
- Myelofibrosis – the condition where bone marrow is replaced by fibrous scar tissue
- Germ cell tumors – it mainly occurs in ovaries or testicles
- Immune disorders – when there is abnormally low activity or overactivity of the immune system
- Bone marrow failure – Aplastic Anemia or Myelodysplastic syndrome which is the inability to form RBC
- After chemotherapy or radiation
Types of Bone Marrow Transplant
Autologous Bone Marrow Transplant
This is a sort of bone marrow transplant that utilises your own cells. Your cells are extracted and frozen before you receive a heavy dosage of radiation or chemotherapy. These cells are returned to your body after radiation or chemotherapy treatments to aid in the production of normal blood cells. A rescue transplant is another name for this procedure.
Allogeneic Bone Marrow Transplant
This is a sort of bone marrow transplant in which cells from another individual are extracted (donor). In most cases, the donor’s genes must at least partially match yours. Some special tests are performed prior to starting the process to see if a donor is a good match for you. Siblings are almost always an excellent match.
Umbilical Cord Blood Transplant
This is an example of an allogeneic transplant. Cells are extracted from a newborn baby’s umbilical cord shortly after birth in this procedure. These cells are frozen and kept until they are needed for a future transplant. Because umbilical cord blood cells are young, precise matching isn’t required. Blood counts may take considerably longer to recover due to the lower amount of cells.
Procedure of Bone Marrow Transplant
A bone marrow evaluation is required prior to the initiation of your bone marrow transplant. The bone marrow test is used to figure out what kind of bone marrow cells you need. Your bone marrow specialist will advise you on the best bone marrow test procedure.
You may have a bone marrow sampling and a bone marrow biopsy if you are being treated for cancer. Typically, he will inquire about your medical records and perform a physical examination. This is a crucial phase since the doctor must determine whether you are a strong choice for the transplant process. This step of testing can take multiple days.
The bone marrow specialist may use radiation, chemotherapy, or both to treat you. This is carried out prior to the bone marrow transplant and can be accomplished in two ways.
- A mini transplant, also known as reduced-intensity treatment, is a procedure in which you get lower amounts of radiation and chemotherapy. This is usually reserved for the elderly and those who are already suffering from health problems.
- Myeloablative or ablative treatment is a process in which you are given strong doses of radiation, chemotherapy, or a combination of the two. This is used to eliminate cancer cells in the body. It’s worth noting that this process kills even the healthy cells in the bone marrow.
At Livonta, you can get some of the top doctors to carry out BMT at the most affordable rate. The type of transplant is a major decisive factor the bone marrow transplant cost in India. Before deciding, you must conduct research online and obtain quotes from several institutions which can vary anywhere from Rs. 15, 00,000 to 40, 00,000.Bone Marrow Transplant Treatment