Bone Marrow Transplant: Why Do You Need It?
The spongy tissue that makes up the hip and thigh bone contains stem cells ans is called bone marrow. The removal of damaged or destroyed bone marrow and replacement with healthy blood-forming stem cells is known as a bone marrow transplant or a stem cell transplant. The stem cells in the body are responsible for the formation of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. The transplant allows your body to produce healthy RBC, WBC, and platelets while also protecting you from infections, anaemia, and bleeding disorders. The bone marrow transplant in India is one of the most complicated surgeries and needs state-of-the-art facilities to conduct a successful operation.
Why do you Need Bone Marrow Transplants?
There are tests to determine whether the bone marrow is healthy enough to operate properly. The doctor may suggest a bone marrow transplant once the diagnosis is confirmed. The following are some medical conditions that may necessitate a bone marrow transplant:
- Aplastic anaemia: In this, the bone marrow stops making new blood cells
- Congenital Neutropenia: An inherited defect which causes recurrent infections
- Cancers like Acute and Chronic Leukemia, Lymphoma, Multiple Myeloma, Neuroblastoma
- Plasma Cell Disorders
- Immune deficiencies
- Bone Marrow damage due to Chemotherapy
- Thalassemia which involves the formation of abnormal haemoglobin in the body
In any of the above conditions, only the experts of best bone marrow transplant in India can help survive the condition. Reaching out to the best hospital is thus the former condition in such cases.
What are the types of Stem Cell Transplants?
After acquiring and comprehending all relevant facts, one must choose the type of stem cell transplant. The many types of bone marrow transplants are as follows:
- Autologous Transplant: The term “autologous” refers to a transplant that is performed on one’s own The patient’s own stem cells are used in the transplant.
- Allogeneic Transplant: A donor’s cells are used in the transplant. In these situations, the ideal donors are the patients’ immediate siblings or family members.
- Umbilical Cord Blood Transplant: This procedure employs cells from a stem cell bank that have been carefully matched. Cells can also be extracted from an umbilical cord shortly after a baby is born.
Select the Right Method and Centre for your Bone Marrow Transplant
The need of the hour will be a thorough talk with the doctor. The type of transplant is decided by the doctor based on the clinical history, diseases, age, and other considerations. Before deciding on a centre, consider the following non-medical points in mind:
- Who will look after the patient while he or she is undergoing treatment?
- How lengthy will the patient be unable to work and care for their family?
- How will the patient pay for the treatment, and will it be covered by insurance?
- Who will take care of your appointment requirements?
- Should the patient be admitted and the transplant process started after all of these aspects have been reviewed and clarified?
Tags: Best Bone Marrow Transplant Hospital in India, best bone marrow transplant in india, Bone Marrow Transplant Hospital in India, Bone Marrow Transplant in India